Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Ode (or something) to my Husband on his Birthday

Warning...suckiness ahead...

Through this whole process, I have had the most incredible support...from my parents, Miles, my extended family, Finnegan (well, sort of...), friends (near and far), some phemonenal nurses, colleagues (Ian's too) and even perfect strangers. I have said since the beginning that I really can't complain about much as I have been the recipient of so much kindness and generosity.

Always by my side, of course, has been Ian. He will probably be horribly embarrassed by this public declaration of my gratitude and affection. However, today is his birthday (Sunday), and since I can't really be the retail phenom I usually am, I wanted to express my love and admiration in words. I hope I can convey a fraction of my appreciation to him. He is more than I could have ever asked for, now and always.

He has laughed with me, made me laugh and caused me to laugh under incredibly inappropriate circumstances. He has held me when I have cried, has cried with me and has wiped my tears as they fell from my cheeks. He has held my hand and held my barf tray.

He has wiped my nose, lint-rollered my noggin and told me I was beautiful even when I said my head looked like a testicle. He has kept track of my appointments, made me take my pills and returned my friends' and family's phone calls (most of the time) when I wasn't able. He has carried me when I could not put one foot in front of the other. He has given me strength when I felt I had none - he has fought with me and for me.

Sappy musical reference ahead...

As the words to one of our favorite songs by the Skydiggers goes:

I will give you everything
That you ever wanted
With this promise
I will bring you home again...


You have, and you did. Happy Birthday, sweetie.