Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Friday, October 20, 2006

Three-pronged VCR Seeks Attractive Outlet...No More!

OK, the above might not make much sense to you if you didn't know I had a Hickman Line in my chest while I was in the hospital. The sexy unit was installed the week before I went in and was used to draw blood and give me chemo (24/7) and fluids. It went in my neck and came out in three prongs in the middle of my chest. Yeah, neat. Yesterday, I (thankfully) had it removed which entailed an icky "yank," but it was out within a matter of seconds. Anyway, it saved me being stabbed infinite times with needles and IVs, though I never really grooved on looking like an outdated appliance.

Also, even though I titled this blog A Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant, I think I will keep writing despite the fact that the transplant part is technically over. I still have a long way to go and it has not only been very cathartic, but writing forces me to concentrate (which has been a challenge these past months). It has also been a great way to keep everyone updated. Your support, kindness and encouragement in person, via email, on the phone and through the mail (and airwaves) has been utterly overwhelming. Thank you. :)