Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Hey, Big Spender...

Well, this week I accidentally managed to sign myself and three friends up to do a half marathon. Not only that, but, Rishel was so excited, she signed herself up for the Honolulu Triathlon! We're not actually "running" until May, but I'm going to need that much time to recondition this beat-up body.

We are doing it as part of Team in Training (TNT) which is organized by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada. The Society was also behind the "Light the Night" walk that my colleagues participated in this past October and has raised over 650 million dollars toward blood cancer research.

In exchange for fundraising a certain dollar amount, we are provided with training, race entry, accomodation etc. As we are a little uncertain of our fundraising abilities, we have committed to doing the Vancouver race; however, if people start throwing money at us (hint hint), we're thinking of switching to the San Diego Marathon in June. I will post a link to my fundraising page as soon as it is ready.

It was really quite funny (well, to me anyway), because by the end of the TNT information meeting, we had collectively spent $300 and committed to raising over $11,000. Oops. I didn't guilt them into it, I swear. Anyway, if you are interested in running with us (c'mon prairie girls), check out:

www.teamintraining.org