Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Poddy People in the House

Rock on, Starbuck...

Today I went to the Cancer Agency to have my radiation mask moulded. This involved lying on an examining table while a wet, mesh plastic frame was put over my head and shoulders, stuck to my face and set to dry for ten minutes. Ten minutes might not sound like a long time, but it is when that frame starts to get increasingly stuck to your head. It didn't help that I hadn't quite decided what to do with my eyes before they laid it on me, so they were kind of smushed half open.

What made it that much more, um, fun, was the fact that, not only was it stuck to my head, it was BOLTED to the friggin' table. Tightly. As in, I could barely swallow, tightly. Ten minutes later, lucky Ian got to watch as I was "released" and reborn from my intergalactic pod. I think he actually shuttered. I guess I shouldn't have got off the table demanding that he take me to his leader.