Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Speaking of Trials


Alice Upsets the Jury Box

A few weeks ago, when I was feeling somewhat overwhelmed, particularly by paperwork (people living with cancer, it seems, develop a very long paper trail...), I received a letter from "The Sheriff."

Good grief, I thought, the parking police from journalism school have finally found me. (Insert snickers from my accomplices Catherine, Tara and Tanis here...) Actually, it was a summons to jury duty for some other poor sod's trial.

Well, since I have a pretty decent "sick note," I knew I could get out of it, though not without the added burden of submitting my medical records, writing a personal letter explaining why my medical condition prevents my participation in a jury, and obtaining a letter from my doctor.

Jesus Christ, more paperwork.

It seems easier just to go and fulfill my civic duty and, really, I'd be happy to. I always found the time I spent in court (as a journalist, not a defendant) very compelling. However, as I am imminently beginning my own trial, I think it best not to get sequestered in someone else's.