Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hangin'

Well, after sulking briefly over my underwhelming CT results, I got back to the business of enjoying the return of my energy. How wonderful it is, too, to not be itching like a kid with head lice.

Last Friday, my third dose of SGN-35 was delivered without incident by a sane nurse who didn't feel the need to chastise me. She also got the IV in my hand without my feeling so much as a pin prick, which proves how important competency is. Nurse Ratched, you may want to take note.

During my infusion, I began talking to a woman beside me named Ruth Anne. She was busy knitting a six-foot Prayer Shawl for her friend who was also there receiving treatment. I'd never heard of the idea before, so she told me the history behind the project.

Now undertaken by people of many different faiths and beliefs, the shawl maker begins with prayers and blessings for the recipient and holds these intentions throughout the creation of the shawl. Upon completion, a final blessing is offered before the shawl is sent on its way to "wrap, enfold, comfort, cover, and give solace" to its recipient.

What a beautiful concept.