Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Sunday, September 13, 2009

End of Summer Blues

Hello.

Well it's about time you checked in.

Actually, it's me who's been playing hooky, but I felt like being passive-aggressive.

I must say, it's been difficult to let go of the summer - the weather, trips, visits and feeling so good. Not that there's any reason why this won't continue, and I do love the changing of the seasons, but I guess I'm suffering a wee bit o' funk. Hence the song on my new playlist to your right.

I've been wanting a soundtrack-thingy on my blog for ages, but every time I tried to enter the code on my seriously old blogger template, it would screw up everything else. Anyway, I finally figured it out and can now add songs to suit my mood at the time of writing a blog entry.

Hopefully it doesn't drive you nuts and my apologies to anyone working in an office who forgot to turn their speakers down. I'll try not to be too embarrassing with my song selections, but you never know. It may be an Enrique Iglesias kind of day.

So here's what was up before I got down...

Stamina. It feels like it's getting better all the time and I've been able to enjoy longer and longer walks and hikes. It's got me thinking of another marathon. This one was taken on a hike with the boys up Lynn Creek.


Visiting with Catherine from Edmonton, one of my co-conspirators in journalism school. She's marrying the lovely Stefan in December on the Mayan Riviera. I'm still hoping to go and I'm sure they won't mind if I crash in their honeymoon suite.


Two of my dearest friends, Josefine and Jenny at Ambleside in West Vancouver (Lions Gate Bridge in background)


Ditching the Cancer Agency after my last treatment to start our road trip to Seattle. Yes, I know...I'm an evil Starbucks junkie, but I just had chemo for god's sake.


One of the highlights of our trip was the opportunity to meet fellow Hodgkin's all-star, Chris, and his lovely girlfriend Jackie. Chris began the SGN-35 trial this summer in Detroit after undergoing a tandem autologous transplant in Seattle. He writes a great blog and, as you can imagine, there being so few of us refractory/clinical trial kids, it's wonderful to meet each other.


After lunch at the Honey Hole, Chris and Jackie were kind enough to give us a tour of some funky neighborhoods in Seattle including this one with a great vista. It was a tad windy, hence my bad hair.


The Fremont Troll under the Aurora Bridge. Down in front, dude!


After visiting the Troll, we headed to the Bumbershoot Festival in downtown Seattle. I decided to get some mehndi done, but forgot to factor in "drying time." It was a challenge to work my way through the crowd trying not to smudge. It didn't stop me from eating half a pound of fudge though.


Before I smudged...


And...the finale - Michael Franti and Spearhead. With their shows, it's always a little like being at a Wiggles concert for adults (lots of jumping around and audience participation). But we were all for that and it was the perfect way to end the summer.



Peace and love, my friends.