Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Friday, October 30, 2009

Brush Strokes

Well, I'm here, so I obviously didn't paint myself into a corner.

Last weekend in Seattle was wonderful. The painting workshop was really interesting, but challenging at times.

On the last day, I was having quite a bit of pain in my back and was really pissed off about it. I was hurling all sorts of threats and choice words at the Hodgkin's (in my head) which culminated with tears at lunch.

Recognizing this as an opportunity to work with the energy, I went back and got myself set up with a huge canvas, grabbed the biggest brush I could find and got to work.

First, I painted a spine and vertebrae in a flesh tone, then grabbed another big brush and started stamping the area of my discomfort (on the canvas) with big, bloody-red blotches, all the while thinking, take that motherf*cker!

I carried on well from there with lots of black and more red and, interestingly, my pain subsided by the time I was finished.

Hmm, I'm thinking I may have to repaint the house.