Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Well, That Was Weird

As some of you well know, prior to having a PET scan, it is necessary to "relax" or lay still for forty-five minutes while the radioactive tracer makes its way through your body locating areas of disease activity.

At the Cancer Agency, they have an assortment of CDs on hand that you can choose from to achieve your mellow. New age and instrumentals are largely represented and I usually go with a little Orinoco Flow to put me to sleep. This time, however, I noticed a new title, Campfire Classics, so decided to shake it up a little.

It turns out it was a burned CD so the volume of the songs was somewhat inconsistent. I started off with Pink Floyd - appropriately "Comfortably Numb" - which seemed to do the trick. I was out like a light.

However, forty minutes later, I woke with drool on my pillow and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird" blasting away at full volume. It was at the part of the song where the boys just give 'er and, in my haze, I hadn't yet managed to turn down the volume. The technician came in and said, "Well, well, party down!"

Yes, my brother, party down.

He was probably surprised the whole room didn't wreak of pot when he opened the door.

Sensing he had a "wild one" here, he asked if I'd like to continue the party in the scanning room.

Hell yeah!

Though, I must say, it was a tad weird to be having a scan that is intent on finding cancer in my body while listening to "Dust in the Wind."

Next time, I think I'll stick to Enya.