Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Gratia


Several months ago, I posted a blog entry about a lady I met who was knitting a prayer shawl. She was making it for her friend who was having chemo at the same time I was.

I am not religious per se, but loved the idea of creating something beautiful for someone while focussing on healing and good intentions for them. Well, apparently, my raving about this idea worked because, recently, a parcel arrived. Inside - my very own prayer shawl!

It is a beautiful combination of blues and purple, has a funky fringe and a cool ceramic button. What makes it even more special is that is was sent to me by someone I've never met.

It was such a kind gesture, one of so many I have been the recipient of these past few years. I am always especially touched by those who still manage to do special things after all this time.

A friend once described the feeling of loneliness that can come when the "soup days" are over - when the initial crisis of diagnosis is survived, and the months of treatment turn into years.

Fortunately, this feeling, in the few instances I've had it, is fleeting. Yet, when it does arrive, the silence can be deafening. I know now from experience that it is usually the kindness of others that helps me resurface.

For this, and for all of you who help me rise, time and time again, year after year, I am so grateful.