Chronicle of a Stem Cell Transplant (and on through to the other side)

Monday, March 15, 2010

Still Groovy

I'm happy to report that I continue to feel well after the Bendamustine.

I still have some dizziness, but my oncologist thinks this could likely be caused by the fairly large dose of dexamethasone I had prior to the infusion, and that it should wear off within a day or two.

Still, I am taking it a little easier after a very full few weeks, which included a day trip to Victoria to see friends...all by myself.

By my very-loved ones' (mom and Ian's) precautions, you would have thought I was traveling to Patagonia...

Make sure you hold the handrail on the ferry...and don't sit near anyone who is sniffling. Have you got your hand wash? You should take nuts and raisins in your purse...and don't forget saltines in case you feel nauseous...


(Don't worry, I know how very, very lucky I am to have them).

In any case, I made it back in one piece after a great lunch with Josefine, Chad and wee Erik at Rebar, Victoria's well-known vegetarian restaurant, and a visit with my talented writer friend, Leah, at her sweet, cozy apartment.

Speaking of writers, I also wanted to mention another little project I'm working on in conjunction with the Lynn Valley Literary Society and Mollie Nye House...

(pause iPod on right if viewing)



The week of April 10th, thousands of cards will be distributed to patients at cancer centres around the world as part of an initiative organized by Spirit Jump whose goal is to provide hope and comfort to those living with cancer.

Here, North Shore Cards for Cancer is gearing up to deliver cards with uplifting messages to individuals receiving care at the Lions Gate Hospital Chemotherapy Unit (where I received much of my previous treatment).

If you or your community group, school, church, or organization might be interested in contributing cards for this event (or starting your own team), please get in touch: kirstennotkristen@hotmail.com

This project struck a chord with me because, as many of you know, I love mail - the cards, letters, poems, stories, photos (and even a recipe or two) I have received over the course of the last four years are some of my most cherished possessions.

Most are from friends and family, but many have also been from people I have never met. I find this willingness to reach out deeply inspiring. Not to mention, the idea of having a thoughtful card delivered right to my chemo lounger beats needles and an IV any day.